It’s fun and easy to make a face mask for yourself, your child, or someone you love! Follow along with the steps below and show off your mask with the hashtag #cmanychallenge!
Gather These Materials
- Cotton fabric
- Rope elastics
- Sewing needle
- Sewing pins
- Ruler or measuring tape
Follow These Instructions
- Cut the elastic 7” long and tie a knot at each end.
- Put the right sides of the fabric together.
- Cut out 9″ x 6″ for adult and 7.5″ x 5″ for child.
- Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner, then stop.
- Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold.
- Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner. Sew a few stitches forward and back.
- Sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Put an elastic with the edge out.
- Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
- Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop and cut the thread. Turn inside out.
- Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction.
- Sew around the edge of the mask twice.
While our doors are closed, CMA is here for you and your family with at-home art projects to keep children entertained and engaged. However, every day we’re closed puts the future of CMA in further jeopardy.
Will you be there for us? Every dollar you donate directly supports the Museum and ensures that CMA will remain a pillar of educational and artistic leadership in New York City. Click here to donate.