CMA Teaching Artist Mackie Saylor leads her popular Club CMA with Mackie class as part of Free Fridays, which provide free access to our most popular CMA Live! classes while amplifying important community topics.
Explore the wonderful world of oil pastels! Using flowers and elements of nature as inspiration, artists will learn about color-mixing, lines and shapes, and blending using ever-versatile oil pastels. Don’t have oil pastels at home? You can also use crayons!
This class is inspired by Mirland Terlonge, a first-generation Haitian-Jamaican artist who explores social and political decisions and its consequences on the body. Her work challenges and provokes change using subtle yet strong imagery, such as floral decor and wedding props, revealing the fragility of these objects.
- White paper
- Oil pastels (or crayons)
- Wet wipes or paper towels
- Surface and clothes that can get messy
What to Expect:
- 30-minute interactive fine art class led by CMA Teaching Artist Mackie Saylor
- Curriculum combines elements of art practices, an introduction to contemporary artists, and music, allowing for an active and entertaining live class
- Small class size allows for more interaction between children and the instructor
- Specialized lessons and engaging activities are designed for children ages 6-11 (younger and older students are always welcome!)
- Children are encouraged to express their ideas, activate their imaginations, and connect with others through activities rooted in art and expression
- Families will need to provide their own materials (often basic art materials and recycled / found materials from home)
- Class times are listed in Eastern Time (ET)
- This class will be recorded for educational and promotional purposes. If you do not wish to have your image or name on screen, please join with audio only and rename yourself using the Zoom rename options.