CMA School and Community Programs Manager and Teaching Artist Mackie Saylor leads her popular Movement with Mackie class as part of Free Fridays, which provide free access to our most popular CMA Live! classes while amplifying important community topics.
Examine work by artist Faith Ringgold and explore the stories in her paintings and quilts through movement. Like Ringgold’s performance art, we will tell our stories through pantomime, or acting out a story without using words. How will you tell a story with just your body and facial expressions?
- Comfortable clothes
- Small space to move around
- Favorite coloring utensil (marker, colored pencil, crayon)
What to Expect:
- 30-minute interactive movement class led by CMA School and Community Programs Manager and Teaching Artist Mackie Saylor
- Curriculum combines elements of movement, theater, music, and visual art for an active and entertaining live class
- Small class size allows for more interaction between children and the instructor
- Specialized lessons and engaging activities are designed for children ages 6-8 (younger or older students are always welcome!)
- Children are encouraged to express their ideas, activitate their imaginations, and connect with others through activities rooted in art and expression
- Families will need to provide their own materials (often basic art materials and recycled / found materials from home)
- Class times are listed in Eastern Time (ET)
- This class will be recorded for educational and promotional purposes. If you do not wish to have your image or name on screen, please join with audio only and rename yourself using the Zoom rename options.
Pictured: Faith Ringgold, Somebody Stole My Broken Heart, 2004