This class is sold out. Email email@example.com to join the waitlist.
Students will learn about the tradition of sequential art used in classic American comics, manga, and contemporary graphic novels. Artists will learn techniques in cartoon and perspective drawing, character design, cover art, and storyboarding as they work on a chapter of their very own graphic novel. Teaching Artists will also introduce students to the work of Laylah Ali, Jeffrey Veregge, Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis, and more. Each student will end the semester with their very own graphic novel.
What to Expect
- 90 minutes interactive fine art class led by a CMA Teaching Artist trained in teaching art to children
- Curriculum includes specialized lessons and engaging activities designed for each age group, as well as visits with guest artists and virtual gallery tours
- Families will need to provide their own materials (often basic art materials and recycled or found materials from home)
- Class takes place from 4pm to 5:30pm on Tuesdays from January 12 through May 11
- There will be no class on Tuesday, February 16 (Mid-Winter Recess) and Tuesday, March 30 (Spring Break)
- This class takes place on Eastern Time (ET)