In this advanced techniques class, students will learn the process of creating a guide drawing, transferring the drawing to canvas, underpainting the transfer in a burnt umber imprimatura (one color underpainting), and painting it in full color. Using acrylic paints, charcoal, and canvas, students will build a professional portfolio of finished paintings. The semester concludes with a virtual gallery show where students can show off their portfolios to family and friends.
What to Expect
- 90 minutes interactive fine art class led by a CMA Teaching Artist trained in teaching art to children
- Curriculum includes specialized lessons and engaging activities designed for each age group, as well as visits with guest artists and virtual gallery tours
- Families will need to provide their own materials (often basic art materials and recycled or found materials from home)
- Class takes place from 4pm to 5:30pm on Wednesdays from January 13 through May 12
- There will be no class on Wednesday, February 17 (Mid-Winter Recess) and Wednesday, March 31 (Spring Break)
- This class takes place on Eastern Time (ET)