Spring Semester applications are now open! Click here to apply
GirlStories is a free after school program for girls and non-binary artists ages 12-15 that empowers them to become makers and individuals, and encourages them to bring their unique perspectives into fields that are lacking a female voice.
In practice, students will explore various forms of art making to develop an artistic identity and personal voice to share their unique experiences. GirlStories will expose the participants to the work of other women artists in disciplines that include: filmmaking, performance art, writing, illustration, and sculpture. The program will include visits from guest artists and hands-on experience with techniques, processes, equipment and technologies used in making art.
GirlStories will culminate in a celebration at the end of the program for the participating girls and their families to share their final projects and finished pieces.
- To empower girls and build self-confidence in their individual artistic voice and practice.
- To create a safe environment for young women to explore issues of identity and culture.
- To discover and learn about women artists from history and contemporary art.
- To apply and learn skills and techniques from a wide range of art disciplines.
Fall 2019 Semester Dates: October 18, 2019 through January 24, 2020
Fall 2019 Semester Times: Friday afternoons from 4—6:30 PM in the Media Lab, 12 sessions (excluding school breaks). Some days will be extended for guest visits.
Spring 2020 Semester Dates: February 27 through May 28, 2020
Spring 2020 Semester Times: Thursday afternoons from 4—6:30 PM in the Media Lab, 12 sessions (excluding school breaks). Some days will be extended for guest visits*
APPLY NOW: Click Here
Questions? Contact Danielle at email@example.com
* Please note that during Spring Semester, GirlStories will run on Thursday afternoons instead of Fridays. This was due to feedback from our participants and their families.